SOUTHERN SUBURBS-ATHENS RIVIERA :
If you want to escape from the crowd of the Greek capital, take a short bus ride and you’ll find beautiful local beaches along the Saronic Gulf, stretching from the southern suburbs of Athens, Faliro, to the southernmost point of Attica, Cape Sounio. Only 10 miles south of the city, you will
have the opportunity to swim, do watersports, drink your cappuccino at a waterfront café, walk along the streets and marinas, shop in modern shopping centres, dine by the sea or do some ‘’clubbing’’ in one of the buzzing clubs. For many Athenians, summer in the city is one of the best experiences.
- Faliro, Flisvos Marina, is located very close to Athens, yet away from the busy city center. Its trademark is its marina which is a yacht destination that gives to the area a cosmopolitan flair. Flisvos Park on the other hand is ideal for strolls and bike rides. Beautiful coasts, recreation parks, playgrounds, botanical garden, open air cinemas, shopping centres and stylish restaurants are there for you.
- Helliniko,The Helliniko Project aims at the development of the area of the former Greek airport with various new uses such as educational institutions and student accommodation campus onsite, international range of health and research institutions, as well as the creation of the Metropolitan Park, one of the largest parks in the world. The Metropolitan Park area of 2,000,000 sq.m. (2,000 acres) will be larger than London’s Hyde Park (1.420 acres) . The area will be characterized by vegetation, which highlights the Mediterranean climate and flora of Attica. Furthermore, the project includes recreational and commercial uses including the largest shopping center of Athens, supermarkets, hotels, standard tourist infrastructure (conference center, a new golf course, use of the Olympic Centre Canoe – Kayak) and residential developments. With the development and implementation of the Metropolitan Park, an area open to the public, considerable benefits are expected, both environmental and social .
- Glyfada, with its sandy palm-fringed beaches, its cosmopolitan clubs , beautiful hotels, boutiques and restaurants as well as its marinas, is one of the most elegant districts of Athens Riviera .You can swim in crystal clear waters or enjoy a meal in one of the many restaurants- from traditional Greek taverns to Chinese restaurants.
If you like golf, you will be thrilled with the Glyfada Golf Club.
- Voula isjust two miles south of Glyfada , with two amazing organised beaches and the Riviera’s biggest beach clubs. During the day you can enjoy yourself in modern beach bars, jet ski equipment, beach volleyball courts, a vibrant dance deck and exciting waterslides, whereas at night you can enjoy a drink or dance in one of the district’s elegant clubs.
Voula B’ beach is ideal for disabled people thanks to the special infrastructure that has been installed on the beach.
- Vouliagmeni bay, is one of the most beautiful locations of the Riviera. Its marina, the private beaches, whereas the picturesque harbour offer stunning views of the Saronic Gulf islands. Astir beach with its turquoise water, smooth sand, excellent facilities and blue flag certification for cleanliness is one of Attica’s most luxurious and most popular beaches. Opposite Astir beach lies the public beach, with no entry fee. The nightlife, the elegant cafes and restaurants and the luxurious hotels, make Vouliagmeni a destination that you cannot afford to miss. Vouliagmeni Lake, lies in the remains of a huge limestone cave. The lake’s mineral waters is reportedly healing for rheumatism and arthritis.
- Varkiza, beyond Vouliagmeni, is a suburb with impressive coves below the coastal road. You can swim in free or organised beaches with azure waters, exercise your favourite water sports or enjoy your meal in a picturesque tavern by the sea. Varkiza offers the best windsurfing infrastructure.
Athens, is famous for its moderate Mediterranean climate, characterised by dry summers and mild, moist winters. Mild for the larger part of the year, the average annual temperature of Athens is 18.3 C and days are sunny even in the heart of winter. Known are the particularly warm summers, the temperature often exceeds even 40 C. The warmest month is July, since in August, strong winds called meltemia, cool the city to a certain extent. Regarding winter, the weather is moist and mild and you can swim or enjoy your coffee in the open air from April to November.
REAL ESTATE OPPORTIUNITIES
The worst economic crisis in modern Greek history has created a once in a life time opportunity, to buy property that was not affordable just 6 years ago. Greece’s massive reform efforts are opening new investment frontiers in the real estate sector. Compared to other cities of Europe, the investments opportunities are abundant and very attractive. Greek residential property prices are down by 40%-50% from the year of 2008.
To revive the housing market, the Greek government recently has given the possibility of granting residence permits to third country nationals and to the members of their families, who proceed to the purchase of real estate property in Greece, the value of the one exceeds 250,000 Euro. Real estate transfer tax was also reduced from 10% to 3%.
The rental yields on the southern suburbs apartments are at about 4-6%.
Over the past few years there is a rise in demand from foreigners wanting to purchase a home in Athens. The greatest interest has been shown by Europeans mainly Germans, Italians and French. Many Chinese also, want to live in Athens’s southern coastal suburbs. Increasing interest is coming from Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Switzerland, the United States and even South America. As a result, demand is picking up and the market will begin to tighten, so now would be the time to make a move. Many previous rental clients will end up buying property.
If one wants to make an investment in the real estate market of Greece now is the time, before prices begin to move up again. A buyer has most of the advantages now, especially if they have cash in hand.